Kanamo is the highest mountain in the Spiti Valley. Still, it is one of those peaks that can be climbed
without hardcore mountaineering knowledge or experience. The trip begins from Kaza – the
administrative centre of the valley – and it will first take you to the famous Ki Monastery. See the
incredible wall paintings here, and later drive towards the village of Kibber. Located at an altitude of
approximately 14200 feet, Kibber is one of the highest permanently inhabited human settlements on earth.
No. of Travel Days: 6 nights/ 7 Days
Best Season: July – Sept
Max. Altitude: 6180 m
Accommodation: Homestays, Camps
2 Pax: 22,000
4 Pax: 18,500
4-10 Pax or more – 15,500 PP
Day 1: Arrive in Manali
Arrive at Manali in the morning, the stay will be arranged in a countryside guest house in Old Manali. Spend
the day Relaxing and local sight-seeing in Manali. One can visit Hadimba temple, Vashisht or just take it easy in cafés in Old Manali.
Day 2: Manali to Kibber via Rohtang Pass and Kunzum Pass
The day will begin early in the morning and will be the longest on road, Manali to Kaza is about a drive of
200kms, with constant change in landscape and altitude. Drinking a lot of water is the key to remain
healthy. We will cross Chhatru, Batal and Losar villages in Spiti. We will also be crossing two high altitude
passes on the way. Rohtang pass (13500 ft) is the gateway to Lahaul Spiti district of Himachal leading to
Leh and Kunzum Pass (15100ft) the highest pass in Spiti. We will reach Kaza by evening, have dinner and rest. Stay will be arranged in a homestay.
Day 3: Acclimatization at Kibber
Day 4: Kibber to Kanamo Base Camp
Early morning, begin the preliminary stage of the trek to Kanamo Peak by hiking to the base camp of the
mountain. Remember to capture the beauty of the Lahaul and Spiti region in your camera and memory
as you walk along. There would be patches of green grass on the mostly barren valley floor, and the high
mountains may even have some snow on top. Following an on-foot journey of about 5 hours, arrive at Kanamo Peak trek base camp and rest at the site.
DAY 5: Kanamo Base to Kanamo, return to Kibber, Drive to Kaza
Prepare yourselves mentally for the trek to Mount Kanamo for it is going to be a demanding affair. Post
preserving some energy, make the final ascent and on completing it, celebrate your success and look
down at the Spiti Valley from the summit. The hard part is over here, and the next part of this expedition requires descending back to the base camp
DAY 6: Rest day in Kaza
We drive to Kaza and spent a day there before we head back to our homes. A farewell party in Spitian style awaits you.
DAY 7: Drive from Kaza to Manali
Hello Fellow Travelers, Thank you for choosing Spiti Expedition, at the offset, we are extremely excited and totally
looking forward to hosting a memorable trip for you. We love living in outdoors and the adrenaline,
we also believe that it is truly the greatest gift of God, the beauty and magic outdoors, hence the
need to respect it. We are laying very basic and easy to do guidelines for the same with the
motive of leaving a minimum footprint, preserving the flora, fauna, biodiversity and ecology of the
region along with coming close to local communities and culture of the region. We truly believe
that you will help us in initiating this and become an Eco-Traveler, if not already one. A little on what Ecotourism exactly is, A dictionary defines it as tourism directed towards unspoilt natural environments and intended
to support conservation efforts. In addition, Eco-Traveler believes in supporting, protection and
at the same time experiencing local culture and heritage. Tourism results in social, as well as
environmental impacts, and a responsible tourist needs to be aware of this.
Here is how you can help
- Carrying your own water bottle, cups, plates and filling water from a natural resource, drinking locally brewed products served in a glass or recyclable materials.
- Using litter bins to trash items that do not decompose, minimum use of purchases packed in plastic, carry a waste bag for your personal non-biodegradable waste.
- Enjoying watching the biodiversity of the geography, not playing loud music or being loud,
when we go outdoors, we are borrowing home of animals and birds, it’s our responsibility to ensure they are not disturbed.
- Purchasing locally produced items- from handicrafts to breweries to savouries
Keeping minimum carbon footprint and nil plastic footprints on the trail through not burning plastic or wood.
Things an Eco-Traveler carries
Apart from personal clothing and toiletries following items need to be carried in order to make
this do it yourself and minimum footprint trek and also for your personal convenience-
- Carry your own water bottle, tea up and a tiffin box for packing lunch, instead of using
disposable packing material.
- Water bottle with filters are available, however the natural
resources are clean and pristine.
- It’s good to carry dry fruits and nuts for personal use.
- Carry a day bag pack, we will provide potters for those need it, however, only essentials can be carried for an overnight trek in a daypack. A waste bag to collect waste on the way in your day pack.
Travel light and easy to enjoy the true essence of backpacking!
Inclusions and Exclusions:
- Trip Cost Includes
Transportation from Manali to Manali
All camp meals
All accommodation during the trek
- 1 night stay in Manali 2 nights stay in Kibber and one night in Kaza premium homestay with meals on MAP
- Guide and porter for the trek and all expenses pertaining to them
- All Camping gear (tents and sleeping bag)
- Trip Cost Excludes
- Personal Equipment’s and rescue operation in case of emergency
Any expenses which arise due to a change of the itinerary, because of landslides, political trouble, and strikes etc.
- Laundry, phone calls, internet, heater charge and wifi services.
- Porter charges for carrying extra luggage.
- Note: This trip can be personalized as per your requirements that meet your time frame. The trip
price will be according to Deluxe, Standard, Budget and group size so please kindly provide your details for a tailor-made program.
Travelling and Trekking in high altitudes require basic fitness and mental endurance, our team will
ensure successful completion and will provide guidance and support, in case of an unforeseen event
however, we will handle it to the best of our capacity, and the ultimate responsibility lies with each traveller.